Thursday, December 6, 2007

Bunker, sweet bunker

(Sorry folks, You'll have to use your imagination until I get permission to use the photo my friend sent. But these two are pretty good substitutions until then.) Just when I was starting to fret about getting a post out today, this came along. I have been wondering when I would find another urban architecture story and really, what is better to blog about than a little piece of Nazi real estate? Here's another little nugget of serendipity: This morning I found myself inexplicably curious about the lyrics to the German national anthem and then, out of the blue, a very dear friend sent me some cool pics of her new home... in Germany. It is built on top of an old bunker (much like the one in the photo here only, without any windows. Here's where your imagination comes in.) I just love that they have used what's already there (a storage facility) instead of making more garbage and tearing the whole thing down and starting from scratch. Plus, it is a clear improvement over what was there. What makes it successful is that there is an integration between the old and the new. A flow, if you will. And they haven't added ten stories, just two. Though, as innovative as the whole design is, I really think a moat is in order. No one does moats anymore and I think it's a shame. Plus, it would make the entire design ever greener by adding a wetlands feature. Back to the anthem: I have found that if I substitute my aberdeen terrier's name for Deutschland, (first two lines, only) it makes a very sweet lullaby. She seems to like it a lot. Try it with your pet and see what happens. I think cats would be especially pleased by it. PS for parents: Don't try this with your kids or, you could really mess them up bad. Loolly, Loolly über alles, Über alles in der Welt, Loolly, Loolly über alles, Über alles in der Welt.