Wednesday, December 5, 2007

American Beauty

Continuing on the beauty theme for today: the The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics recently released a report about the dangers of lead in lipsticks. Yes, you read that right, LEAD, a proven neurotoxin in humans. The report states that one-third of the only 33 lipsticks tested exceeded the FDA's lead level for candy. (Betcha didn't know that any amount of lead was allowed to be in candy, huh?!) While the Food and Drug Administration oversees beauty products it has no power to demand a recall of unsafe products. Nor, does it regulate the beauty industry in any way. According to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, “nearly 90% of the over 10,000 chemicals used in cosmetics have not been evaluated for safety.” I admit that I didn't know about the lead problem but, since around 1976 when I discovered that some companies put formaldehyde in shampoos I have been a fan of more natural products. I know what you are going to say, some of the more natural products don't work so well. Sometimes the shampoos leave your hair flat, the deodorants leave you smelling less like a rose and more like a litter box, and the toothpastes are weird-tasting, etc, etc. Even so, I keep buying natural beauty products and finding ones that are wonderful. In this spirit, I went out to Perelandra, my local health food store, to investigate the more natural lippies. First, I tried Dr. Haushka because I have been a fan of this line for decades. But, the colors just didn't suit my complexion. I finally settled on a "Wild Plum" lippy by Hemp Organics. I tried it on the back of my hand to test it and it went on smooth as butter. But, when I got home and unwrapped the new one, it went on my lips like chalk. I'm not giving up, though. If we humans are smart enough to invent Q-tips (eargasm, anyone?) we are smart enough to develop safe cosmetics that still make us feel pretty. Pretty Peewee