Thursday, February 21, 2008

B.S. Phraseology 101

I am not sure what is it about going to the theater that permits me to overhear absurd statements by young women but, yesterday after seeing August: Osage County by Tracy Letts, I heard a young woman say, "I like to read. But, you know, like, not literary stuff." "What's left?" I thought, "Cereal boxes?" So, in honor of all things absurd, I am collecting ridiculous phrases. If anyone can think of one to add, please be my guest.
Examples may include but, are not limited to: self-delusion, military doublespeak and plain, old B.S. Here's just a few to get us started:
  • "My doctor has me on a low dose."
  • "The check's in the mail."
  • "I promise I'll pull out."
  • "World-class architecture."
  • "Collateral damage."
  • "You look beautiful in the dark." (Doesn't everybody?)
PS: The cat photo is just to show what can happen when a large amount of humans pursue devolution through nonsense. Other more noble species are quite capable of standing up and filling in the void.